Saturday, January 22, 2011

School Journal - Egypt

We've studied ancient Egypt in the past, so this week we brushed up on location and the geography of the area. We learned a little about the Muslim people too and prayed for them.

For art we painted a desert scene. This one is from Z (the other pics didn't turn out). He put the pyramid in front with an oasis. I've been impressed with the way the kids enjoy this activity. I let them do pretty much what they want. I just tell them to cover the page with paint and they spend a long time in concentrated silence (always pleasant) and create. They are very proud of their work and I've seen some wonderful improvement.


I had the boys create a pyramid with LEGOs one day. They didn't exactly build an exact replica, but they used their imagination to create booby traps to keep people from getting the treasure. I was thinking it was suspiciously like the new LEGO Pharoah sets we've seen online. ;) Oh well, they were busy and playing for hours with their creations.

We also did mapping activities, colored the flag, watched a DVD on mummies from the library and read books about Egypt. I already took our literature selections back to the library, but a couple of them were Egyptian Cinderella and Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile.

Next, we're going to Asia and spend a few weeks there. I'll have to share how I'm doing country memorization and location review sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment