Saturday, January 1, 2011

Home Journal - Happy New Year

This year we opted for a quiet evening at home to celebrate the new year. Usually, we have a party and lots of friends come over to play and watch, but since we had just gotten back from out of town and the house being in disarray, we decided to go low maintenance. It turned out to be a good decision anyway because Z came down with a fever and sore throat that day. E and I had been out shopping all day and trying to get my iphone fixed, so we picked up some movies to watch with everybody. We had hamburgers and the traditional black-eyed-peas (can you tell my family's from the South) and then we watched movies on our new TV. Of course, I can't just sit there, so I was working on a felt board and felt shapes too. The kids started dropping one-by-one until just E and Ter and I were up to ring in the new year. So we took pictures!





Then, Ter made his Saturday pancakes for our New Year's breakfast. Betty just started eating them with syrup. Funny story: These pancakes my mom used to make for me when I begged. When Ter and I got married, I showed him the recipe and told asked him to make them for me. Which he happily agreed to. So he's been making them ever since and the kids really look forward to it too. So, I've never actually had to make any pancakes. Sweet deal, huh? Well, when I was growing up, ny mom went on a vacation and my Granny came to stay with my brother and me. I asked her to make pancakes for me. In her words, she made them, I ate them without complaint and then showed her the recipe mom used and told her that next time she should use it to make pancakes. Fast forward to 2010 and my three-year-old asks for daddy pancakes while he's out of town on business. I don't want to, but since he's been gone and they'd been without, I could do it just this once. I got out the famous recipe, made the pancakes even though I knew Ter had tweaked it over the year (especially for the whole grain goodness) and served them to her. She was not so gracious as I had been as a girl and promptly started to cry because they weren't the way daddy made them. She told me through her tears that I needed to make them the same way Daddy does and she refused to eat them. That's waht I get for trying! What goes around comes around, doesn't it Granny? Lol!

Sweet girl eating up all her Daddy pancakes on New Year's Day


No comments:

Post a Comment