Monday, June 13, 2011

School Journal - Primary Arts of Language Review

I think I've tried almost every kind of reading program there is. All my kids learn so differently that they've (I've) each needed something different. So...I bought another program and I'm very glad I did. P.A.L. by IEW  is a very intense course, so I have slowed it down a bit to a pace that my 1st grader is comfortable with. This is all new stuff to him and I want him to be successful. My third grader "helps" the 1st grader and gets a review as well, which is good because he doesn't read independently yet and needs a b.u.n.c.h. of repetition. I was also trying to use it with my preschooler. She loved the letter stories and writing the letters, but after we got past the "squeally ee's", she was over her head, so I am doing something else with her. She still can spot the squeally ee's in a word though and is recognizing color words.


P.A.L. uses a Phonetic Farm folder to help introduce "helpers" which are basically different letter combinations that say one sound (i.e. ay, er, ee...). It also introduces sight words that you jot down on an index card to memorize and use in the reading practice each day. There are also file folder games that you put together and your child plays every day. So you're learning new stuff daily (unless you slow down a bit) and putting them into practice with reading and using those words in different games always reviewing previous words.   

I like that it teaches the not-so-basic sounds effortlessly and matter-of-factly. I was having trouble teaching what you do after the short vowel words that are easy to sound out, but P.A.L. makes it very easy and I don't have too much prep work to do except get file folders made. Z has made it through 13 lessons and I am amazed at how well he is doing and how much he is learning. We also get the added benefit of having the whole family interested in what the new reader is learning because there is a poem tying the lessons together and our family loves to memorize the poems and find the "helpers" in the poem.

1 comment:

  1. I love this program, but I too, purchased it for a preschooler.....It is taking way too much effort to slow it down for her....what did you switch to for your preschooler after abandoning using it for her? I am considering Explode the Code....help!

    ReplyDelete